What is micro-needling?
Micro-needling is an anti-aging, non-laser, non-surgical procedure that targets numerous skin conditions and issues. Micro-needling uses a “pen” with tiny needles to make small perforations on the skin which then allow the “injured” skin to grow new, more vibrant skin. It is known as the treatment that causes skin to heal itself.
Click here to watch our medical director, Dr. Glat, demonstrate and explain the benefits of micro-needling.
How does micro-needling work?
Micro-needling is a remarkable, non-laser, non-surgical treatment that causes skin to stimulate collagen production and fresh, new tissue. The instrument, the micro-needle pen, contains 9 micro-needles which create thousands of invisible and virtually painless wounds on the skin. The micro-needle breaks down scar tissue, wrinkles, and other skin imperfections. While breaking down the old skin and creating tiny channels in the upper layer of skin, the body also immediately responds by forming new tissue. The newly formed tissue is more plump, contains more elastin, and has a renewed blood supply resulting in glowing, clearer skin.
What does micro-needling target and improve?
• Fine lines
• Scars (deep acne scars and stretch marks)
• Shrinks pore size
• Tightens Skin
• Improve cellulite
• Opens pores so topical solutions can be better absorbed
• Overall health and circulation of skin
What can I expect during my micro-needling treatment?
Your micro-needling treatment will be tailored to your specific skin needs. The micro-needle can be used on basically any part of the body. Our aesthetician will talk with you and evaluate your skin needs and together we will come up with a treatment plan. Once we have an established treatment plan, we will then cleanse your skin and use our micro-needling device on your “problem” area. Patients generally experience very little pain during the treatment. After the treatment, we will apply a healing serum that penetrates deep into the pores, healing and rejuvenating the skin.
Micro-needling Post Care Instructions
• Wash the face thoroughly a few hours after treatment. Gently wash the face with tepid water and a gentle cleanser and remove all serum and other debris such as dried blood. This will improve the appearance of the skin and also allow for better subsequent absorption of post procedure serum. Mineral makeup may be applied the following day.
• For the first 1-3 days the skin will be very dry and feel tight. Some flaking is normal. Frequent use of recommended healing and moisturizing products will help alleviate this. Use sunscreen daily.
• After day 3 patients can return to regular skin care products or as soon as it is comfortable to do so. Vitamin A products are optimal and suggested.
• Avoid alcohol based toners for 14 days.
• Avoid direct sunlight for at least 10 days.
Day 1: Erythema and red appearance and severity will depend upon how aggressive the treatment was performed.
Day 2: A red or pink hue persists like moderate sunburn. Swelling may be more noticeable on the second day.
Day 3: Skin can still be pink in color. Swelling subsides.